Monday 1 July 2013

French Alps 2013- The final in the Saga

Unfortunately everything in this world has to end, and in keeping with this reality, this post is the final in the Alpine Saga.

Wednesday was Stu’s birthday, and we had already decided to head over to the Ubaye Valley to see if the rumours of high water were true. An early morning saw us on the road before half eight, not a sight for anyone to see but a necessity none the less. The drive to the Ubaye took double the normal time due to the simple fact that the three of us are not brilliant navigators or route masters, a few laps of Gap proved this. However, if it wasn't for slightly altered routes and not knowing where you were, Christopher Columbus wouldn't have found America. But then again I can’t see that as a downside!

We ran the Upper Ubaye, which was a nice bimble, but at the top we met a German chap called Stefan who asked to come with us. He was an Open Boater who talked very little English. So much so that most of our conversations on the river consisted of smiling and saying ‘Very Nice’ in the most Borat like voice imaginable. Stefan's boat control was a sight to behold; Stu, Jonny and I were bewildered by some of the moves he pulled off. We then paddled the Bachelard. Asking Stefan to join us was difficult, but it meant that we had a driver to help us with the shuttle, therefore we didn’t need to bike it; my inability to speak German was trumped by my shear determination to not have to get on the bike again. The Bachelard was sweet as a nut. It provided good boating and more content for Stefan and myself to say ‘Very Nice’.

Wednesday evening was another fire to see out Stu's 21st, and once again Jonny King got lucky. Apparently fire is his aphrodisiac! Hopefully the wood we collected was the only thing burning that evening though, at least for Jonny's sake.

Thursday was spent at the slalom course in Argentiere with some members of Cardiff Uni. A few runs gave us a pleasant day to chill out. That evening was the club meal out, and I had one of the best steaks I have ever tasted in my life. It was huge, peppery and cooked to perfection. If I could remember the name of the restaurant I would post it for people to go to if they are ever in Guillestre.
The best steak of my life
Stu and I pretty f**king happy with our choice

Friday is home day, and the morning was spent on the lowest Briancon Gorge I have been on. A bumpy ride down and the afternoon was spent packing ready for the drive home.

Saturday morning was military in our ability to get up, have a freezing cold shower and get on the road. The drive was easy, with Stu and I knocking France out in 12 hours and getting on an earlier ferry than what we had booked. Cardiff Uni were moments behind us and missed it. Too bad for them I guess. Getting back to Cardiff at 0130 we had a short nights sleep before a morning of unpacking, a pub lunch and a early night before work.

I had a thoroughly enjoyable time in France this year. Doing some high runs, some banter with the Uni club and a steak to die for made for a great two weeks. I hope people enjoyed the blog posts, there is going to be an STC video out of the Corsica and French Alps in one, so keep eyes peeled for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment